<  Projects  ~  HEARTLESS

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:34 pm
Below are the box office numbers for last weekend in the UK. I knew Heartless wasn't going to have a major screening but it was only shown on 8 screens. That was a lot fewer than I had imagined. I'm glad I ordered the DVD because I'm holding out little hope now of it making it to Canada.

Here I go with my whining again but geez it's been so long since I've seen Jim on the big screen. With One Day and Upside Down not scheduled for release until mid 2011 - it's going to be at least another year - unless The Way Back suddenly surfaces. Do we know what's happened to that movie?

UK top 10: 22-23 May

1. StreetDance 3D, £2,493,948 from 412 sites (New)

2. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, £1,371,066 from 468 sites (New)

3. Robin Hood, £1,362,385 from 536 sites. Total: £9,090,395

4. Iron Man 2, £523,266 from 427 sites. Total: £19,109,368

5. Kites, £273,958 from 70 sites (New)

6. Four Lions, £195,812 from 204 sites. Total: £1,978,699

7. Nightmare on Elm Street, £194,603 from 306 sites. Total: £3,238,509

8. Hot Tub Time Machine, £192,635 from 290 sites. Total: £2,558,819

9. Bad Lieutenant, £178,953 from 129 sites (New)

10. The Back-up Plan, £158,482 from 256 sites. Total: £2,038,271

How the other openers did

Cop Out, 127 screens, £64,935

Trafficked, 5 screens, £1,792 (Ireland only)

Heartless, 8 screens, £1,309

Pimp, 7 screens, £254

Paradise, 1 screen, £124

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:58 am
User avatarJoined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:36 amPosts: 370Location: Australia
Izzy, you don't need to apologise for whining to members of this forum - that's what we're here for! ;) Any true fan of Jim Sturgess knows that the sheer frustration can sometimes be overwhelming. But I think that comes with the territory when you follow a rising star, as opposed to an established star.

When this website started, ATU, 21 and TOBG had already been released. Since then, forum members have played games and shared jokes, videos and jim art to keep us going as we waited for any glimmer of jim-news.

We thought Crossing Over, with its well-known ensemble cast would be the movie that we could all share TOGETHER. But then the Weinstein’s $#$@%ed it over and it had only a very limited distribution. For many of us it never even made it into the theatres and we waited nearly a year for the dvd release. Frustrometer = 80% :x

FDMW was brilliant but, again, very few of us saw it on the big screen (it was only released on dvd here last month). The Way Back has the director and stars to warrant a world wide release that all of us can share together, but it seems to be lost in some sort of post-production purgatory. Frustrometer = 90% :x :x

It’s been great sharing all the trailers and behind the scenes info for Heartless, building up to its release this month. But now that it’s out the forum is split into “the haves” and the “have nots”--- those who’ve seen the movie or gotten the DVD, and those who will have to wait who knows how long before either of them is available. Frustrometer = 99% :x :x :x

BTW, I’ve NEVER seen him on the big screen. Frustrometer = 100% :evil:

I am really looking forward to the day when one of Jim’s films is released worldwide at the same time and we can all share in the excitement TOGETHER. I’m sure that day is coming soon, based on Jim’s recent choices. So to all the “haves” – enjoy Heartless!!! I’ll enjoy reading your comments and reactions --- as I pull my hair out in frustration! :lol: ;) :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:03 pm
User avatarModJoined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:34 pmPosts: 1963Location: Cincinnati
OK, a recap on some things for you.

UK residents - the soundtrack is now available at play.com and iTunesUK, but you don't want to buy it there, you want to buy it thru our Amazon store!

There are more signed artwork contests, this time thru Dread Central and ohmygore.com

EmpireOnline are giving away copies of the dvd. Oddly, their site is completely down right now, so if you live in the UK and are looking to win a copy, check them out at a later date.

Lastly, Heartless has a fantastic score by David Julyan. He recently signed up with Moviescoremedia, a wonderful site where you can download scores. Hopefully, Heartless will pop up there. I'll keep an eye out for us....FYI - they have the Ben Mink score for FDMW available now.

I have several reviews tucked away. Is anyone interested? Or are we at the 'bored with reviews' stage yet?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:16 pm
User avatarJoined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:31 pmPosts: 2708Location: Los Angeles
This is all wonderful information Beatleowl! Thanks for posting! :geek:

I'd also like to mention that DickieRay just tweeted more good news:

DickieRay
Heartless number 45 on the IMDB worldwide movie meter... just below Transformers!

Very, very, cool! 8-) GO HEARTLESS!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:05 am
Another contest for artwork. UK residents only, sadly. Hope someone on the board wins one of these!

Autographed by Jim and Noel Clarke

Britfilms.tv

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:39 pm
User avatarJoined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:37 pmPosts: 1441Location: Miami, FL
Woooo Hooooo!!!! Over 300 screen caps are now up in our gallery!!!! BIG THANKS to Michelle and Liz who helped select, prepare, watermark and upload these babies.

You can go to the gallery to view them HERE.

But everyone should remember to BEWARE SPOILERS!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:35 am
A round of reviews and comments on Jim for you! Some of these reviews may not be huge fans of the film, but they do have nice things to say about Jim. I have included those snippets for you. Read the actual reviews at your own risk.

LocalGuardian.co.uk wrote:
I really, really wanted to like this film as I am always eager to give British films that set their pitch 'out there' a chance, and Heartless certainly does that.

In the main I did like it – the acting is excellent, with Sturgess producing a great character that you genuinely care for, with support from a cast stuffed full of top British talent like Timothy Spall, Noel Clarke and Eddie Marsan.

And it is certainly best seen when you have your wits about you, with plenty of rewards for those who pay close attention.

YourLocalGuardian

eFilmCritic wrote:
The movie packs genuine scares, and keeps us connected to its twisty events with Sturgess' powerfully empathetic performance as a put-upon young man in way over his head. As a Ridley film, its sharp straightforwardness may take a little getting used to if you've thrilled to his other work. As a horror film, it's decidedly more original and idiosyncratic than the stuff we horror fans usually make do with. When you can, give it a shot — and make the effort to find good letterboxed prints of the earlier Ridley, too.

Welcome back, Philip Ridley. Don't stay away so long next time 5/5

eFilmCritic

HorrorMoviesAndStuff wrote:
"Heartless" is an intriguing film, it doesn't take the usual direction of most UK horror's, which rely on stupid teenagers, dry humor, and cheap scares to entertain the audience. Beyond "The Descent" and "Creep", UK horror has had more downs than ups in my estimation. But "Heartless" tells a brilliant story, and also has some above average acting as well. The movies overall story, which brings forth Jamie as a dark, hopeless, depressing character, blends in with the characters surroundings also, which is a dark, crime-ridden, urban/desolate sort of neighborhood.

It also has an underlying subplot of beauty is skin deep, as Jamie, once he's cured of his brith-scar, finds from a mysterious associate of Papa B., that he must do some hideous things to maintain his newfound good looks. As far as blood and gore is concerned, this film has very little of it, as it really harps on trying to tell a good story, instead of sloshing blood, gore, and slime all over the place for quick and cheap entertainment value. Something that I can appreciate considering the story is a solid one, and is told very well.

HorrorMoviesAndStuff

WildSideCinema wrote:
After eagerly waiting since first seeing The Reflecting Skin almost 16 years ago, I’ve finally had the chance to see a new Philip Ridley film and what a grand experience it was! Ridley knows drama, the fears and insecurities of everyday living, and he knows his horror, especially the kind of horror that speaks to the very things that make us tick, good and bad. He knows how to craft real characters, the kind we can relate to and sympathize with. It’s certainly fair to say that Ridley’s style borders on experimental or arthouse at times but never so much so that his concept is bogged down by pretentious style or poetic drivel.

The character of Jamie played by UK actor Jim Sturgess was incredibly fascinating, his torment was palpable, you fully understood why he was damaged. Sturgess brought the kind of vulnerability to his role that very few actors would be capable of achieving. I’m sure Ridley’s ability to bring out the best his actors’ performances had quite a bit to do with it but many props to Sturgess nonetheless for carrying such a unique film and role on his shoulders.

WildSideCinema

....more to come....

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:48 am
User avatarJoined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:31 pmPosts: 2708Location: Los Angeles
Thanks for compiling these Chelle! It's very cool to read all of them together. 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:10 am
More review snippets...

E-Film Blog wrote:
The ace card is Sturgess himself, delivering a poignant, memorable leading turn that anchors the whole film. Also singing a few tracks from the soundtrack, this is his show, despite the constant invention and brutality of Ridley. Quiet, reserved and desperate, he instills Jamie with a knowledge of the world but seemingly no experience in it. He wanders the night streets, slumped and alone, coming full circle by the latter scenes where he descends further into a personal hell. It's a physical and mental performance and deserves much more attention than it will likely get.

Unfortunately you've now missed you chance to see this dark oddity on the big screen, but that shouldn't put you off. It's destined to be something of a cult classic, but as Sturgess' star rises, so could the popularity of Heartless. It's not perfect, but it deserves your attention and for all its flaws ends up being one of the most original, compelling films of last year. Just don't make us wait 15 years for the next one, eh Ridley?

e-filmblog

Upcoming Horror Movies wrote:
Heartless relies more on its dramatic elements and character development to drive its story, and leaving a lot to interpretation, which will likely lead it's audience towards mixed views. I liked the approach it took and found much of what it offered refreshing in today's normally bland genre offerings. Worth a check if you want a horror flick that requires a little more thought and emotion than usual.

upcominghorrormovies.com

A Temporary Distraction wrote:
Jim Sturgess is fantastic in the lead role, juggling paranoid introverted angst with a wounded vulnerability, his performance is rather incredible, and maintains the audience’s sympathies even when his character makes questionable choices. Eddie Marsan steals scenes efficiently as the devilishly sinister and ruthlessly businesslike Weapons Man, while a never-more-likeable Noel Clarke is wonderful in his all-too-small role as Jamie’s amiable neighbour A.J.. Most notably, Ridley lavishes the film with a distinct visual fare – filled with stunning cinematic vista shots of the London city and sublime, grimy yet colourful fairytale visuals, Heartless never looks less than gorgeous and is never short of ideas, balancing numerous genres with relative ease. For all its problems, it still manages to entertain throughout, just never to the extent of its immense potential.

atemporarydistraction.com

Film School Rejects - Foreign Objects wrote:
The initial setup for Heartless is fairly straight-forward but it works fantastically well. Sturgess makes Jamie an empathetic character via his expressions and mannerisms, and it’s easy to feel his shame, shyness, and disappointment in life. He makes a new friend in his neighbor A.J. (Noel Clarke), but he’s too petrified to talk to the girl of his dreams, Tia (Clemence Poesy). And Ridley’s London East End is a character in its own right filled with sadness, rage, and broken people in equal measure. The hooded creatures are frightening in their pack mentality but also in the animal-like and guttural screams that echo down deserted streets and abandoned buildings.

Filmschoolrejects.com

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:30 am
User avatarJoined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:36 amPosts: 370Location: Australia
Thanks Michelle. All these reviews are great - which has me thinking - when are the BIFAs? A "little" film like Heartless can make a big splash at the BIFAs and I expect that Jim will have a much higher profile at them next time around! 8-)

Offline Profile