<  Projects  ~  CLOUD ATLAS

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:22 am
User avatarJoined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:44 amPosts: 143Location: UK
Am so excited that you got to go Liz!!! How amazing!!! So glad it appears it lives up to expectations. X

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:56 am
User avatarJoined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:31 pmPosts: 2708Location: Los Angeles
Thanks FG! I feel extremely lucky to get these wonderful opportunities. And thanks everyone for your kindness and support for my good fortune! :D

Now, as far as the Cloud Atlas screening... Due to L.A. traffic worries and Pasadena being an hour from my house without traffic, I made certain to leave home early. But alas, there wasn't much traffic at all, and I arrived about two hours early. Thus, I was first in line :geek: and needless to say, I had a great seat. I spoke with many people around me in line and only one other person nearby had read the book, but almost everyone had heard about this film/book, and there was much anticipation. Also, there was such a large crowd, that we were separated into two different theaters (I'm guessing, each with @250 seats). The screening took place at The Arclight, a high end, multi-theater complex with plush seating and the best quality screens in Los Angeles. A regular ticket at this upscale theater normally costs @ $15 for general admission, and altho I didn't have any last night because I wanted to be completely clear headed, it's one of the few that serves alcohol. :shock:

Okay... now for my review. I have to say that this film totally blew me away! Leave it to the very creative and innovative Wachowski's (The Matrix Trilogy) and Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run) to make this complex book into a GREAT film. And the editing of this incredibly complex film could not have been better! After reading the novel, it was hard to imagine how they'd pull it off, but they do so exceptionally well!

As much as I'd like to talk about details of the film, and Jim's role(s), I can't (due to signing a confidentiality agreement). Plus it would spoil everything because half the fun is discovering Jim's (and the other actor's) characters. :) And believe me, he's not always easy to recognize -- not to mention, he uses various accents which makes it even more difficult -- so don't count on recognizing his familiar voice. Again, Jim does a wonderful job with accents! In his most recent interview with JSO, Jim spoke about being in the make-up chair for many hours, and all I can say is, it was well worth it. 8-) It's now well known from several interviews with the stars, each plays multiple roles and I can honestly say that each juggles these roles brilliantly. Kudos to the make-up peeps for a job well done! I predict that there's definitely gonna be an Oscar nod, or two, or three, or more, involved here.

According to my watch, the film ran 2hrs. 50min. but you would never know it because time just flew by. Cloud Atlas has it all... action, adventure, romance, humor, and several very touching moments. It captures every emotion imaginable and keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout. I can honestly say it's one of the best films I've seen in years and definitely like nothing I've ever seen before! :ugeek: The rest of the audience also seemed enamored and impressed with the film as well. There was long and loud applause after the film and lots of positive chatter going on around me. I can't wait for each and every one of you to see it!!! :geek: Feel free to ask me questions privately, altho I may not be able to answer them until after the film is released -- nor do you truly want me to. Trust me on this... ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:02 am
User avatarJoined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:44 amPosts: 143Location: UK
Very ambiguous and intriguing review there Liz. Well done. Must have been so hard not to give anything away. I have LOTS of questions but I am trying to resist as I am excited to see the film "fresh" if that makes sense? X

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:14 pm
User avatarJoined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:37 pmPosts: 1656Location: Bellybutton of California
Fantasy Girl wrote:

BTW, you are definitely the QUEEN of getting to see Jim's films early --- may I recap? Advance screenings of The Way Back, Heartless (part of a fan reaction video), Legend of the Guardians (attended LA premiere and interviewed Jim), and now CLOUD ATLAS!!!

You go girl!!!!! :geek: :geek: FG / Diane

Liz, your reporting on CA was Perfect... You gave us great insight w/ out telling too much! I had to include this quote from FG, because I totally agree with it. :) When I spent time w/ ya in LA for TWB I saw that you make things happen ( w/ help and support, yes.) But, you are a getter done kinda gal. And I respect that :) 8-) ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:36 pm
User avatarJoined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:37 pmPosts: 1441Location: Miami, FL
Great review -- just enough, but not too much to spoil it for anyone.

AND now I am officially DYING TO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!! :geek: :| :shock: 8-)

Can I express this any louder or stronger...

I AM LITERALLY DYING TO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!! :lol: :shock: :geek: o[]o FG

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:26 am
Thank you ladies... I'm a very lucky girl, and my Hollywood upbringing certainly served me well. And working summers in my dad's public relations office as a kid, certainly helped too -- I learned schmoozing from the pros. :) Never did I realize however, that I'd grow up to become a fan girl. :shock: Nowadays, I can truly appreciate my early beginnings, and supporting Jim and his career comes naturally to me. :geek: It's my way of being involved in "the business" without actually being in it (and putting up with all the BS that goes with it). And a guy as talented, charming, and gracious as Jim makes it so much fun and well worth every minute of celebrating and promoting his career! 8-)

Enough of this now... and back on topic. Again I will say, Cloud Atlas -- and Jim's roles/acting -- will blow you away! And for those of you who haven't read the book, I highly suggest you do, because altho the film works wonderfully well in it's own right, reading the book in advance gives the film an added dimension. Besides, it's fun to guess which roles Jim takes on! :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:18 pm
User avatarJoined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:37 pmPosts: 1656Location: Bellybutton of California
OK, Liz... ya know how I can derail a topic... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes ! All this is sooo exciting! From reading the book... and what Jim has said publicly about who he plays... we have a Glimmer of who and where in the story he plays....
But, I have a feeling that we really are gonna have our Minds Blown Away!

Where are the 'Shrooms Man? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:14 am
Thanks so much for the fantastic CA review,Liz!! Sorry for the late reply. After reading your review,I was like just speechless! At that moment,I just found The Way Back was finally released in this fall in my country :D Also ONE DAY(book) is just published in here.When it rains it pours :) :geek:

There was a time we desperately wanted to learn some info about CA.And it wasn't a long ago.But thanks to you,now we know great things about film.I'm really happy and excited to hear Jim is great in the film(no surprise,of course) and film met our expectation greatly :D :D I read many comments online from the people who saw film at screening.(Normally ambitious films divide people's opinions,but comments are really positive)But your review is definitely best one! So well written,yet doesn’t give anything away. I really appreciate it.I have a lot of questions,but I also want to see film fresh.So I think I will get answers from the film itsself ;)

Btw,I think this comment is interesting,too.It's short,but well written.
Quote:
I just saw a test screening of this film in Pasadena tonight. The Wachowskis were there. Not sure about Tykwer. It's a wild ride. Mixes different genres together like some crazy magic potion. Audience reaction seemed pretty good. It has serious themes but doesn't take itself so seriously that it becomes pretentious. The film has a good sense of humor. Lots of crazy make-up fx and entertaining performances. Very impressive stuff.

Now I just wonder when we could see trailer for this. Some people online says like this,
Quote:
I wonder if the trailer will be with TDKR?

I think it would be great if they debut CA trailer before Batman movie which going to be huge hit.But TDKR's release date is July 20(in US).So we have to wait till late July to see CA trailer online.Which is long wait... :? But anyway sooner ot later we could see the trailer with some fanfare :geek:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:25 am
Thanks for the kind words once again, Momoko. :) And it's cool to know that the Wachowski's were at the Pasadena screening. I didn't see them however. :( I'm glad that they heard all the (well deserved) good chatter and applause. :geek: That has to be encouraging to the filmmakers. 8-) There was also a focus group after the film and I'm sure they attended that too. As I understand it, the powers that be normally select couples from every age group to participate in focus groups. That way they obtain a balanced understanding of just what each demographic liked/disliked about the film. I hope that there's another early screening because I'm dying to see it again!!! :ugeek:

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:13 am
Agreed,Liz! It's nice to know the Wachowski's was at screening and could hear applause from the audience 8-) Almost everyone said Cloud Atlas(book) was really hard to adapt before.So I'm really glad that CA was well recieved by audience at screenings.I'm sure it encourged directors and also WB.WB spent only $20 mil to buy the film.So I'm sure they can prepare a lot of money to promoto the film :D I hope they will hold many advanced screenings to spread the positive words.I hope you could attend for another screening! You totally deserve it :)

Offline Profile